Sunday, February 19, 2012

Evil Media or Fair Business?



Is there such a thing as “pure media” anymore? Was there ever? After considerable time spent researching the topic, I’m inclined to say no. However, being an optimist, I’m hoping that I’m wrong about that. Are media conglomerates really as evil as everyone makes them about to be? Again, I’m inclined to say no. After all, is it really the sole responsibility of the media to ensure that the public is informed? Unfortunately I think the general public has misplaced trust in these institutions. Wasn’t it Michael Eisner of Walt Disney himself that said, “We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.”? A CEO can’t be any more honest about their company’s motives than that. This however, is where I find myself torn on the subject. As a capitalist and an American, I want to say, “What’s wrong with a company working in their own interest to make a profit?” I mean isn’t that one of the principles this country is founded upon? But another part of me thinks that, considering we’re the ones consuming the goods of these media conglomerates, they owe us something more; At least an unbiased opinion if nothing else. I don’t believe however, that there can ever be a clear solution to the problem of big media; the entire problem itself is far too complex. The only answer is government regulation on media. To me though, this isn’t much of a solution at all. In fact this seems counterproductive. At least as the media institutions exist today, flawed as they may be, they are able to give at least their view on any topic. In a government regulated, or controlled system you have the possibility of seeing even more biased views than already exist, or worse some stories or programs being cut completely. I wonder if the opponents of the mass media institutions have taken this possibility into account at all. No matter what happens on this subject in the future I don’t think people will any better or worse off. Even if government regulation occurs I believe that it will just change the form of the debate. For this reason I think people should just relax on this subject a bit, there are probably more worthy causes, with positive outcomes for people to devote their time to.

No comments:

Post a Comment